Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Wedding Planner Scam

Recently, I received an email from a bride-to-be claiming to be located in Ireland who wanted to plan a wedding within 3 months. Below, you will see the email threads and the lengths these scam artists will go to in order to get money out of planners or other event professionals.

What sent up a red flag was the use of “bad grammar” contained in the email that I received. Also, on the two occasions that I called, a man answered the phone with an unrecognizable accent, who on each occasion, would tell me that this fiance was out of town. Because I did not want to prejudice anyone for bad grammar, I pursued and responded to the email, however, becoming suspicious, I called a few planners and asked whether they had received any fishy emails from Ireland. Sure enough, I was cautioned by one planner to proceed with caution, and that I should be very careful not to send any money.

HOW THE SCAM WORKS: The so-called bride-to-be will willingly ask that you send in your proposal for services, and they happily accept it. They ask you what your deposit/retainer will be, and they send your retainer back in overnight mail; however, the check is for more money than you request (check or cashier's check turns out to be a counterfeit).

They make up a story; this particular scam artist said that they had a particular band that wanted to hire to play at their wedding and that I should deposit their check, take our my portion, and send the balance to their band as their deposit. (NOT LIKELY). No matter how much I asked for my signed agreement back, they promised, but never sent it.

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DEPOSIT THEIR CHECK: Once you deposit their check, which after 5 days appears to clear your bank--and even shows as being deposited into your account (I am told), you send your check to their "vendor;" however, after a couple of weeks when the other bank receives their bank, you receive a notification from your bank stating that their check was a "bad" check, so you are out what ever amount you have sent to their associate, I mean, vendor. I have received 2 such cashiers checks and am framing them.

I am posting the email communications below for your information as they tend to write from a script, and also in the hopes that you will not be scammed by this or any other individuals preying on Wedding Consultants/Planners or event professional.

My final email is shown here first:
“I have been in touch with one of the company's whose name you have been using to send fraudulent checks to me and they are aware of the scam. I would appreciate it if you would stop wasting people's valuable time in soliciting funds. It is a shame that you have nothing better to do with your time. I take weddings very seriously and I am sickened by your attempt to use this occasion as a platform for such a horrible crime. Please do not contact me again otherwise I will report you to the authorities.

Try and do so some good in the world and stop wasting precious time - life is too short!” Janet

SCAM ARTIST'S EMAILS FOLLOW (chronologically listed, latest first):
-----Original Message-----From: (name removed)To: societyweddings@aol.com
Sent: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 2:13 pmSubject: Compliment of the season
Compliment of the season Janet,
How was your festive period?I have been out of town all these while,i just arrive within some couple of minute ago and was informed by Robert that you called.I want you to take the check to your bank for cash so you start planning immediately please.

I will send you the signed agreement Failingly tommorow.

Warm Regards,
-----Original Message-----From: (name removed)>To: societyweddings@aol.com
Sent: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 4:47 pmSubject: Re: Change in plan!!!
Okay Janet,i will email you the tracking number of the package to make yourslf available tp recieve it and i will get the contract to you as you have said.

Thank you,

-----Original Message-----From (name removed)To: societyweddings@aol.com
Sent: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:59 pmSubject: Re: Change in plan!!!
Thank you for been there for us Janet,we concluded on having our wedding on the 1st of march 2008 but the payment will get to you very soon so you can proceed with our wedding plan.

let me know if it is okay so we can choose a prefferable day for our wedding and let me know if a new contract should be fill out and send to you on the date specified above.

Regards,
-----Original Message-----From: (name removed)>To: societyweddings@aol.com
Sent: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 1:16 pmSubject: Change in plan!!!
Dear Janet,

I am very sorry for the delay in respect to your previous email,payment will get to you first thing next week while we are trying to work out another date for our wedding.I will let you know the date as soon as me and my fiancee conclud and i want you to have it at the top of your mind that you are still our wedding planner and nothing will change that, please understand.

Pertaining to the check,i will tell you what to do with it.

Thanks,

Janet -----Original Message-----From: (name removed)>To: societyweddings@aol.com
Sent: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 8:27 pmSubject: I will let you know...........
Hooooooooooooooooo, just make sure you keep it.I will tell you what to do about it and another payment will be issue to you ASAP in your name.

(name removed).

-----Original Message-----From: (name removed)>To: societyweddings@aol.com
Sent: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 6:05 pmSubject: Payment on the way
Hello Janet,

How was your thanksgiving holiday?i just want to inform you that payment will be delivered to you tomorrow by UPS with tracking number ...... (removed) .Please make yourself available to recieve the package from the mail delivery company.

A copy of proposal/agreement form will be send to you via email as an attachment or a regular mail.Regards,


-----Original Message-----From: (name removed)>To: societyweddings@aol.com
Sent: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 9:12 amSubject: Check payable,address and contract form
Dear Janet,How are you today?Our wedding will be a religious ceremony in a Catholic way,an hotel settings for 60 guest.pertaining to our guest i have 26 and Robert 34 guest.......We made a budget of $20,000 but as the date is fast approaching we decided to add more to budget which is $10,000.00 making 30,000.00 for you to plan our wedding without your charges and French band fee.A 50% payment of your deposit fee will be send to you as certified check drawn in USD, we are interested in a particular band for our wedding in which you will help secure so as to ascertain we have them perform on our wedding.It will be semi formal wedding in Longs Island but we have no location thats why we want you to plan this for us on the 19th of January 2008.The package listed below are very much accepted.Let me know your charges,the % you wish to have for deposition fee and get back to me with the contract form so as to have you booked,including to the oder of whom payment should be made payable and where should i send it to.Please instruct.Kind Regards, (name removed).

-----Original Message-----From: (name removed) To: societyweddings@aol.com
Sent: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 5:53 pmSubject: Hello........
Good day,How are you doing today?Robert told me when i called back,we can start working things via email before we provide a conference call to determine our need as this will let you get some clue of what we need before conducting calls.Please let get started and send the list of package you have so i can choose the one that swift our budget or more.Cheers,(name removed).

-----Original Message-----From (name removed)>To: societyweddings@aol.com
Sent: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 8:31 pmSubject: Hello......
Dear,

Thanks for swift response,we will be very much intrested in the list of pakages you have for wedding plan in respect of thier prices so we make our choice.Presently am out of town but you can reach me on (number removed)

Regards,
(name removed).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is absolutely Scandalous the lengths that SOME PEOPLE will go to, to bilk people out of their Money!! Thanks Janet for spreading the word. These people have to be stopped. Unfortunately the Internet allows so many of these people to remain anonymous that the only way to try to stop them is to spread the word and so as many people as possible know about their scams. Thank you so much!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Janet - thanks for making us aware of this! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Great Job Janet,
I recieved the same scam but she was in serbia, I didnt fall for it one bit, she even had the nerve to ask me to send her 2400 but I responded with when you send me an actual cashiers chek, that can be cashed first. I never do any work or research without funds in hand. The reality is there are a lot of scammers out there. And we all know a woman would not leave everything to us without having a small hand in the details. Alays question motives for those kinds of scams especially when they put it off and put it off. Good Job...

carousel horse said...

Thanks for posting! I'm a wedding planner and received a similar scam, from a "couple" in London. Payment was proposed to be an amount equal to my retainer plus $6000, to be paid to their (suddenly selected) limousine service. Their credit card payment could have been reversed or challenged, leaving my bank account short whatever funds I would have sent to a third party. I wrote back requesting the payment be wire transferred instead of by check or credit card, to which I have not received a reply! How can we report these people?

McVonnie said...

I am a new wedding planner. I spent time and money taking classes, joining the Association of Bridal Consultants, and shadowing a seasoned wedding planner. I received one of these emails a few days ago and was excited as it would have been my first "real" job on my own. But for some reason it just didn't feel right. I was contacted by the " soon-to-be-groom" and he had no idea what his bride to be wanted for their special day, no color scheme, didn't know how many would be in the wedding party. Well, I Googled and your blog came up. When I read what you had to say I was disheartend but also relieved that I didn't fall for this scam. I want to thank you so much for putting this information out there. I emailed a few of my wedding planner "sisters" and sent them the link to your page so they could read what happened. Thanks again!

Daisy Chain Weddings said...

I've also had a couple of these scam emails so keep a look out for anyone using the names Dr Eric Lichtenstein or David Banks - they all say pretty much a similar thing, but I've attached a copy of David's initial email for the heads up.

From: davbks2@live.com
To: davbks2@live.com
Subject: Be My Planner
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:38:15 +0100


Hello Admin

My Name is David Banks, I am looking for an experienced wedding planner who will handle my wedding and arrange dinner for a group of people who will be attending the wedding ceremony. We would be arriving seven days before the wedding day.

The wedding is scheduled to hold on last week of October 2009, guests are expected to attend. As i do not know what the guests might choose for their meals and drinks. You are to arrange for a Videographer, Music Entertainment, Photography, Officiating clergyman/Priest & Church, cake, flowers and hall. If there is any of this items that is beyond your capacity, you let us know so that another company can handle it. Get back to me with your response as we don't have much time with us so that we can process our accommodation within the region more convenient for you and us.

Payment Option Credit card? I hope you accept credit card payment.

The above is subject to adjustment. If there is any other thing that could be added to make the wedding unique, it will be welcome.

Great Regards

David Banks
43 Wimpole Street London
W1G 9SR,
LONDON. UK.
+447045721602